737 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60611
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.
Owais A. Farooqi
All registered participants are welcome to attend.
Periodontics residents from the Army, Air Force, and Navy, and speakers from the Department of Veterans Affairs, will provide a series of 10-minute presentations highlighting innovative clinical techniques and pertinent periodontal research.
The presentations cover a wide variety of periodontal science topics and clinical advancements that support the biologic rationale for contemporary therapies and suggest innovative methods for next generation treatment. This seminar includes presentations on periodontal research and advanced clinical concepts.
Each speaker will have two minutes to answer questions following the presentation, with three minutes allotted for speaker transition.
CPT Aaron Colamarino
Influence of Lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis, and Prebiotic Inulin on Dysbiotic Dental Biofilm Composition Ex Vivo
• Recognize how new concepts in the etiopathogenesis of periodontitis may bolster interest in the therapeutic potential of oral probiotics.
• Identify the bacterial species that have shown the most promising results in the treatment and prevention of periodontal disease.
CPT Rachel Duval
Multiple Exostoses Occurring in a Patient with Antiphospholipid Syndrome
• Describe the influence of antiphospholipid syndrome on hemostasis.
• Describe the known effects of antiphospholipid syndrome on bone.
LTC Sergio Munoz
Dental Implant Site Development Requirements in a Periodontics Residency: A Series of 290 Implants
• Discuss the ability of alveolar ridge preservation to reduce the likelihood that an implant site will require subsequent hard or soft tissue augmentation.
• Estimate the percentage of dental implant sites requiring hard tissue augmentation.
Maj Joseph Retrum
Subepithelial Connective Tissue Graft Harvest Techniques
• List subepithelial connective tissue graft harvest techniques reported in the literature.
• Identify criteria for selecting a subepithelial connective tissue graft harvest technique.
Maj Brett Jessen
Mishaps and Adventures in Sinus Augmentation
• Discuss how to manage complications with sinus augmentations.
• Discuss unique sinus augmentation approaches to anatomical limitations.
Maj Loc V. Tran
Periodontics- Orthodontics Surgical Considerations
• Discuss clinical situations by which periodontists can facilitate orthodontic procedures.
• Discuss sequencing of periodontal surgery with orthodontic therapy.
LCDR Meredith Swisher
Peri-Implant Soft Tissue Management in an Iliac Crest Free-Flap Reconstruction
• Identify the clinical features of inflammatory hyperplasia.
• Explore the challenges with soft tissue augmentation in areas formerly treated with extraoral grafting materials.
LCDR Sean Farrell
Multidisciplinary Management of Peri-implantitis: A Case Report
• Review the diagnosis and management of peri-implant lesions
• Realize the potential relationship between open contacts and the progression of peri-implantitis
• Review the important of prosthetic design on long-term implant health
LCDR Richard Sawaya
The Utilization of Prognosis Assignment: a Cross-Sectional Survey of Military Periodontists
• Realize how prognosis is utilized among periodontists outside of the academic realm.
• Review the unique aspects of military practice that may influence the conventional application of prognosis.